Halloween can be a festive and fun time for children and families. But for pets? Let's face it, it can be a downright nightmare. Crystal Clear View Glass wants to help relieve some of the stress and dangers this year by giving you a few safety tips for our furry family members!
Trick-or-treat candies are not for pets.
All forms of chocolate -- especially baking or dark chocolate -- can be dangerous, even lethal, for dogs and cats. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning may include vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, and seizures. Halloween candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can also be poisonous to dogs. Even small amounts of xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar and subsequent loss of coordination and seizures. Xylitol ingestion can also cause liver failure in dogs, even if they don’t develop symptoms associated with low blood sugar. While xylitol toxicity in cats has yet to be established, it's better to be safe than sorry.
Ingestion of harmful or poisonous substances is one of the top ten causes of pet injury. Even if you haven't intentionally given your pets a piece of food that could hurt them, you must still remain aware of ways your pets could try to reach food items without your supervision.
Don't leave pets out in the yard on Halloween.
Vicious pranksters have been known to tease, injure, steal, and even kill pets on Halloween night. Inexcusable? Yes! But preventable, black cats are especially at risk from pranks or other cruelty-related incidents. In fact, many shelters do not adopt out black cats during the month of October as a safety precaution. Make sure your black cats (or dogs) are safely housed indoors around Halloween.
Keep pets confined and away from the door.
Indoors is certainly better than outdoors on Halloween, but your door will still be constantly opening and closing, and strangers will be on your doorstep dressed in unusual costumes. This, of course, can be scary for our furry friends, which can result in escape attempts or unexpected aggression. Putting your dog or cat in a secure crate or room away from the front door will reduce stress and prevent them from darting outside into the night … a night when no one wants to be searching for a lost loved one.
Being hit by cars is one of the leading accidental causes of death for pets such as dogs and cats. Even if a pet survives being hit by a car, trauma and lasting injuries usually mean that a pet is unable to survive long after such an accident. With more people driving around the neighborhood, take extra precautions to keep loved ones safely inside and under supervision.
Don't keep lit pumpkins around pets.
If you are using candles to light your jack-o-lanterns or other Halloween decorations, make sure to place them well out of reach of your pets. Should they get too close, they run the risk of burning themselves or causing a fire.
Keep electric and battery-powered Halloween decorations out of reach.
Electric and battery-powered Halloween decorations are certainly safer than open candles, but they still can present a risk to pets. Pets who chew on electrical cords can receive a possibly life-threatening electrical shock or burn. Batteries may cause chemical burns when chewed open or gastrointestinal blockage if swallowed. Shards of glass or plastic can cause lacerations anywhere on the body or, if swallowed, within the gastrointestinal tract.
Ingestion of foreign bodies is another one of the top ten causes of pet injuries. These types of ingestion can cause extreme discomfort for your pets and can often be fatal.
Don't dress your pet in a costume unless you know they'll love it.
If you do decide that Fido or Kitty needs a costume, make sure it isn't dangerous or simply annoying to your pet. Costumes should not restrict movement, hearing, eyesight, or the ability to breathe. Pets who are wearing a costume should always be supervised by a responsible adult so that if something goes wrong, it can be addressed right away.
Try on pet costumes before the big night.
Don’t wait until Halloween night to put your pet in a costume for the first time. Get your pet costumes early, and put them on for short periods of time (and piece by piece, if possible). Make it a positive experience by offering lots of praise and treats. If at any time, your pet seems distressed or develops skin problems from contact with a costume, consider letting him go in his “birthday suit.” A festive bandana may be a good compromise.
If your dog or cat should escape and become lost, having the proper identification will increase the chances that he or she will be returned. Collars and tags are ideal if a Good Samaritan can collect your wayward pet, but microchips offer permanent identification should the collar or tag fall off. Just make sure the information is up-to-date. Use Halloween as a yearly reminder to double check your address and phone number on tags and with the company who supports pet microchips.
We hope this information has been helpful, and we would like to wish your family a safe and Happy Halloween!
Whether working with businesses or individuals, everyone at Crystal Clear View Glass puts people first. It starts with Brandon, who hires self-directed professionals and empowers them to make a difference in every interaction. That culture is pervasive, from the team member who answers your call to the installer who expertly completes your glass project.